Saturday, July 8, 2017

With My Sister / Hip Kit Club

It's the weekend...yeah!  I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday so far.  Today I wanted to share my newest layout for the Hip Kit Club using the 2017 June Hip Kits.  For this page, I was inspired by this beautiful scalloped paper from the Oh My Heart collection.  I didn't want to use it "as is," so I fussy cut lots of the scalloped borders out.  My background paper is also from Oh My Heart, and I thought the colors of the scallops looked perfect with it.  I kept the design in the center of the page and worked within the square of scallops.

I smudged some white gesso over some areas of the scallops and then used some Shimmerz over it as well as some of the Vicki Boutin Acrylic Paints from the Color Kit.  I wanted some pretty darker aquas on the background around the photo and embellishments.  I tucked in lots of goodies around the photo and created a smaller cluster at the top. 


I really love how the dimension turned out with the scallops.  I machine stitched through each of them using lots of different stitching patterns.  This allowed me to ruffle up the edges of them and create some awesome depth.  That's some gold Color Shine there...I just had to add some of that.  We got that in a Color Kit a lonnnnng time ago, and I still have some!  Behind my photo, I added some tissue paper, a Project Life card and some die cuts.


I did a lot of mixing and matching here...aVicki Boutin floral die cut, a Pinkfresh Studio leaf die cut, a Bella Blvd puffy sticker, and an exclusive Hip Kit wood veneer.  I also added some orange tangled thread from my stash.


On this side of the photo, I used the beautiful floral sticker from Dear Lizzy, a pink circle Bella Blvde sticker and puffy sticker, and another Hip Kit wood veneer.  I just adore all of these beautiful colors together!


I used a few Vicki Boutin and Pinkfresh Studio die cuts here to create a fun cluster.  I added some thread and foam under it and then added a Crate Paper phrase sticker above it.


If you subscribe to Hip Kits, you probably know about these alphas.  They were sent to Kimberly in completely the wrong color.  They didn't match at all...they were an awful mustard brown color instead of yellow.  She sent them to me to alter them, and I did just that.  I used the Vicki Boutin paints to cover them, and I love how they turned out!  They look a little rough, but they wound up having some great texture.  And the color stuck very well.  So now you know that you can change up the color of any alphas if you want to :)


I hope this inspires you to get creative with your patterned papers and alphas.  Remember, you don't HAVE to use things as they are.  You can cut them out, you can paint them...it's your project, so make it work for what you want!

Here's my process video:


Thanks a million for stopping by!  Have a fabulous weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment